Friday, December 01, 2006

Confessional Friday

(Wow, I haven't done one of these in awhile, have I?)

Confession #1: So, this new job of mine which was supposed to be all wonderful and which I was so excited about? It turned out to be actually dangerous. Not just, "I don't like this job after all," but, "I feel like my life and limbs are in danger if I go to this job." It was at a state facility for people who have MR/DD. Okay, I've taken care of people with severe and profound mental retardation before, and I can do it without much trouble. What I didn't understand before I started the job is that this facility is for the people who can't handle living in ordinary group homes, the ones who, in the parlance of the trade, have severe behavior problems.

I really shouldn't be any more detailed than that, due to confidentiality issues, but after three days of coming home shaking and near tears, I called my old temp agency to beg for help and they quickly found me a one-month assignment that will start Monday. I give all the praise in the world to the workers who can stick it out, but I'm not one of them, and I'm kind of ashamed of it.

Confession #2: I've been reading this website and this website, and agreeing with pretty much all of it.

4 comments:

clew said...

My friend, you have nothing to be ashamed of. Most people won't even look in the general direction of those with disabilities such as these.

Sorry I havent been around much - Hope you are well!!!

Martie said...

Some jobs are not for some people....I could never do what you did for even 3 days.

BTW, you've been tagged. Stop over for a visit and read what you have to do! ;)

Anonymous said...

I used to work in a residential treatment facility for youth. RTF is the highest level of care before you reach a secure mental hospital (basically prison with doctors).

So yes, I feel your pain. Now that I think about it, I feel my pain too. Eep...

Bougie Black Boy said...

YES--I wanted to tell you that you'd feel like that. BUT--I didn't have the balls. . . But--keep your head up. And besides, it'll give you something crazy to write about. We'd love to hear it!