Thursday, September 25, 2008

Ban Dan Brown!

Dan Brown novels are a menace to society! He should be banned at once.

Yahoo! News reports that a 25 year old man who stabbed a priest in a church in Rome did so because Dan Brown's The DaVinci Code led him to believe that he was the Antichrist.

So, since every time an act of violence is perpetrated by a young person, organizations such as the American Family Association and Jack Chick Ministries call for bans on violent video games, why are they not now calling for a ban on Dan Brown's novels?

Oh, right. They think the Catholic Church is the Antichrist, and Catholics aren't true Christians. Why, they probably think this delusional man in Rome did them a favor by removing one of "the Devil's servants" from the world!

Now, I've read both The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons, and I must say, the violent video games are usually of far higher quality.

Dan Brown represents a danger to our culture and values! (Or at least, the culture and values of those who advocate quality storytelling!) Wake up, America! Won't someone think of the children? Where is the outrage?

But I'm not about to call for a ban on books of any form, certainly not just a few days before the ALA's Banned Books Week!

No, I just think we should ban Dan Brown himself. Someone keep that man away from the computer!

3 comments:

Laurita said...

I've read Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code, and unfortunately so has my hubby. Perhaps I should explain that I am Catholic and he is not. It has led to some interesting and frustrating conversations. I hear you loud and clear on this point.

Love your blog.

Bainwen Gilrana said...

Thank you! :-)

Martie said...

I haven't read the Da Vinci Code, but wanted to drop in and say 'hey' to both of you. Hope all is well. Take care!